Lios Lara Riding Stables, located at Tir na Hilan, near Castletownbere, is tucked into the sides of the Slieve Miskish Mountains which sculpt the beautiful Beara Peninsula. We are situated at the starting point of the Beara Bridle Way and on the route of the famous Beara Way.
On route to Lios Lara, you will pass Derreenasagart stone circle which beholds one of Ireland’s most impressive views onto the harbour’s mouth at Berehaven as well as Tir na Hilan raised ring fort.
You will also enjoy stunning views onto one of Europe’s deepest harbours, Ard na Kinna lighthouse, Dunboy and its Puxley’s mansion.
After your visit to our stables why not ramble through Castletownbere where you can enjoy quality West Cork food in our quaint cafés, restaurants and bars; local seafood and chocolate brownies a must! Beara is home to many art galleries and craft shops; browse to your heart’s content and choose a special item to remind you of your visit to Beara.
Castletownbere is an international fishing port and you are likely to hear Spanish, Portuguese and a host of other languages being spoken in bars and shops mingling alongside the soft West Cork brogue of the locals.
Castletownbere Festival of the Sea occurs during the first week in August. The regatta takes place on the Bank Holiday, and there are many events held during the week, including live music in the town square each evening.
The Beara Arts Festival also takes place each August where art exhibitions, drawing, writing and music workshops, and performances take place.
Some local attractions:
- Ferry over to Bere Island; steeped in military history the island was home to four Martello towers and a Signal tower as part of a chain of British coastal defence.
- Play golf at the 9 hole Golf Club, Castletownbere.
- Fish on land and on sea, or take sightseeing boat trips of the harbour.
- Rib it out to the famous nautical landmark, the Bull Rock, from Garnish.
- Swim in one of Beara’s many safe inlets or the beach at Ballydonegan, gorgeous Allihies.
- Ride over water to Dursey Island on Ireland’s ONLY cable car, and only European cable car that goes over sea water. Visit Dursey Island, popular with bird watchers and nature enthusiasts.
- Without disturbing the peace of the Buddhist monks who run the DZOGCHEN BEARA RETREAT CENTRE, have a look at the breathtaking views from their cliff top meditation room.
- Kayak with seals in Adrigole.
- Learn local history with Beara Baoi Tours.
Ask at Lios Lara for more detailed information.